Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Sufferer to Survivor


(Trina with her granddaughter, Lana, at Lana's 1st birthday party)

Many of you know that my sister, Trina, was diagnosed with breast cancer a couple months ago. Since then she has gone through all the tests and procedures one goes through when dealing with something like this.

Today she underwent a double mastectomy at the Cleveland Clinic, in Ohio. Heather and I are here doing what we can to support Trina during this time. I must say, she is an amazing person. If you haven't heard me gab on about her before, you can check out my previous post on her here.

Well, it was a long day, mostly because we all love her and want her well, but also because she is only 43 years old and is going through what is a very difficult experience. I must say, I marvel at her strength. There are not many people who can handle what she has experienced in her life and yet continue to press on with such a beautiful spirit, and a life that reflects more and more love. She is inspiring!

Trina's surgery went well; actually it went as good as a surgery like this can go. Her doctors were very pleased. I saw her shortly after she woke up in recovery. And though her pupils were as tiny as I'd ever seen them, and with cheese and cracker crumbs all over her lips, her first words were, "Someone needs to get me a MooLatte." I knew she was doing well after that.

She is staying the night and should be coming home tomorrow to begin the process of getting well. After she heals from this surgery she will begin breast reconstruction which will last anywhere from 6 months to a year.

Thanks for your prayers AND YOUR CONTINUED PRAYERS for a quick and full recovery. We are so thankful that Trina has gone from sufferer to SURVIVOR!!! Thank You God! And again, thank you all for your support during this time.

Much love,

Matt and Heather Bays

8 comments:

Desire of Great Love said...

please give Trina our love & know we're praying for all of you & mostly Trina's recovery. She's a strong, powerful woman- we love her too!
Take care all of you!
Love,
Amanda & Jeremy

Jen said...

I knew something was going on from a couple of Heather's blogs but wasn't sure what it was. I'm glad your sister's surgery went well. Now that I know what, I will pray for her. And you. It's hard to be away from family when something hard is happening.

Our Family said...

Thank God...

What a relief for Trina and your family.

Beth said...

Trina is such an inspiring person....I will contiue to pray for her recovery!!

By the way you are a pretty awesome brother too.....you and Heather have been so supportive of her......I'm sure a blessing!

Love you guys!

The Liller Family said...

Praise God it went well!!! I was hoping you would post an update and not make us wait until you got home.

Although I don't know your sister personally, please tell her we will keep her in our prayers (and you guys too!)

Bill Wolfe said...

Matt, that is great news. My mom is a breast cancer survivor for about the past 20 years. She was diagnosed while I was in high school. Looking back somehow my dad and her really isolated us kids from all of the hospital visits, etc. Either that or I just blocked it out of my mind. I really don't remember that time much. strange. Who knows.

I'm happy to hear about your sister. God is an awesome God.

My mom just did a breast cancer walk in Chicago last weekend and she walked 26.2 miles on Saturday and 13.3 miles on Sunday. It was an awesome accomplishment.

It's so great you can be there for your sister. There are many more years of great things ahead for her.

pwdrd donuts said...

Thanks for the thoughts and prayers. End of day two and she is doing very well.

Anonymous said...

Hey, Matt. I found you. I just thought I'd google your name and found all this weird stuff. You're still the same Matt. I don't know if you read this stuff or not but i didn't know where else to write. So - get in touch with me.
Derek

dncchilds@comcast.net