Monday, June 9, 2008

Then She Found Me



It's rated "R" by the Motion Picture Association of America, and while I don't normally recommend "R" rated films (especially with the possibility of church people reading this ;) ) I would recommend this one. It's definitely rated R for language (dropping the F bomb 4 or 5 times) and sexual content. Though there is no nudity, no drug use, and no slashing of throats.

Okay, so Heather and I are without the kids this week since they are at Nana's. So "Hey, let's go to a movie," is something you can actually say at times like these. We got to the theatre and Heather bought Twizzlers and then decided after two pieces that she didn't want to waste the calories on a big bag of Twizzlers. Being the wonderfully supportive husband I am, I said, "Let's just throw them out!" She agreed. She handed the bag to me and I proceeded to the trash, not thinking she would've actually called my bluff. Since I had no intentions of throwing them out in the first place, when I got to the trash I grabbed all I could (all but 2 slackers) and stuffed them in my pocket. When I got back to our seats I had to crawl over Heather to make sure "Twizzler Pocket" was not right up next to her. It was a little irritating thieving them from my pocket so Heather wouldn't see. Also, eating slowly so you can "enjoy your food" is a load of crap. Hogging 'em down is much more satisfying. She never noticed me eating them. When I was down to the last two, I shared one with her. She was giddy as a school girl. A welcome surprise.

So back to the movie. I thought this movie was beautiful! Great cast, including Helen Hunt, Bette Midler, Colin Firth and Matthew Broderick; directed by: Helen Hunt. Uhhh! (that's a good uhhh) It was an excellent film about life...and it was very real. And not sad and depressing trying to be real - just real. In fact, it wasn't sad and depressing at all (well, maybe a little here and there, but in a good way) And I must say, it was refreshing to not see a leading lady (Helen Hunt) all Botoxed to death with her eyebrows drawn up like venetian blinds. She looked her age (45 in real life)...maybe older.



So the plot was great and beleivable. And I'm not a huge Bette Midler fan, since most of her characters tend toward brassy, shocking, loud and obnoxious. But in "Then She Found Me" we get to see her in a much more tame, sensitive role. She was still...ya know, Bette, but better. Best exchange in the movie comes after April (HH) says she doesn't want to pray about something, and Bernice (BM -wow, those are sucky initials) pushes her to do what she has "always done," stating, "You mean you'll pray over a plate of spaghetti, but when something like this comes up you won't?!?!"

I don't think you'll regret seeing it. Heather and I loved it. I'd see it again just to get some of the meat out of it. And I'd love to have your thoughts on it after you see it.

Oh, and it may not be at your mainstream theatres - we had to go to Keystone Art's Cinema to see it. It won't be there long (maybe only a week more) so hurry up.

6 comments:

Our Family said...

...looking it up right now!

Anonymous said...

Not in any theaters by me...bummer! It looks good!
Anon Wee <><

Our Family said...

me either...shocking!!!

Amy said...

I'll have to look for this movie...I do like Bette and Helen!

by the way, I found your blog via Katie...now I'm going to have to have grilled cheese for lunch....without tomatoes...sniff-sniff!

Krista said...

ahahahaa....when you described the bette midler you don't like.....i kinda felt like you were describing me....seriously. ahahahaha

i wonder when it will be on dvd.....hmmm.

Anonymous said...

Yeh, I always have a hard time keeping a straight face when I tell people that I have a BM degree. (seriously)