Sunday, June 1, 2008

Curtain Call

This is one of those days where there is too much estrogen floating around this house. First of all, we went to this "20 somethings" party which was fun, but they all seemed sooooo young. And they're really not that young when you think about it. There's nothing more irritating than people older than you pretending they are older than you in that "older than you" sort of way. But they are all beginning their families, babies and stuff, mid twenties. You know what I'm saying. Basically, we were the only ones with kids that could walk...or talk...or put cheesy potatoes on top of their hamburgers. Actually they were very well behaved. But maybe just one little story.

So at the end of the party Chole and Ev were playing with this super long irritating balloon thing that you blow up, let go, and watch fly around in the sky. You know, one of those things you throw away the moment they go to bed. So they had one balloon; right, you understand the problem. So I'm standing there talking to this girl who is pregnant with her first child and we are watching my girls who are waiting for this empty balloon to descend from the sky. And I say, "They've actually been really good lately. They haven't fought much at all!" And literally, one second after I say this, Chloe catches the balloon and Evalee throws down with her; tackles her, while Chloe does the one arm stretch to keep it away from Evalee. Both were screaming "It's my turn...Nuh-uh...GIVE IT BACK!!!"

Actually everyone was very cool. It wasn't one of those Grandma and Grandpa restaurant moments where you get stares from those who had perfect parenting skills and are wondering what your problem is. Although as we were leaving, Chloe burst out into tears about something and walked away from me, and...well, I'm a yeller. So I said, "HEY!" real loud. Now, the funny thing is, if you have children 5 or older, you wouldn't even have heard my big loud "HEY!" But as soon as I said it, I saw about 20 sets of eyes move my direction...in unison. So I smiled and said, "I'm a yeller."

My girls are great. I mean c'mon, look how cute they are! But right now I wish they would just TAKE A BOW ALREADY!!! And someone pull the dang curtain; no encore thank you very much. Too much drama.

Oh, and during this post I have threatened to "spank their butts until they cry if they don't go to sleep" two times. Anyone want me to babysit?

10 comments:

Our Family said...

hahahahaha...i can sooo picture that matt!! but yelling NEVER sounds as bad coming from a dad! ask anyone.

you should just swear really bad, then you don't have to yell...i can stop a kid with a word these days.....lovely parenting tips huh?!?!?!

The Liller Family said...

It just goes to show how real we are as people and parents. I think the title of that self-help book I'm going to write . . . someday when I have time (yeah right) will be: "Loving Through Screaming"! HA!!!

Beth said...

All I have to say is be thankful grandma Linda isn't there to give them a balloon every week...by the way your kids are so CUTE!

Anonymous said...

Matt, hate to tell you this, but John would tell you that this is merely preparation for when they're all going through PMS at the same time one day. ("All" includes Heather...and yes, when girls live together, they seem to do other biological things together, too...ya know.:-) And, like John, you'll joyfully live to tell the story. (BTW, when those days come, feel free to call for advice...me, not John...ha.)

Bill Wolfe said...

Maybe a new nick name for you could be "Old Yeller"?

I feel you, hey at least you didn't have to yell at them at church!

Desire of Great Love said...

you are too much ... SO funny.
I'm with Katie- swearing trumps it all! LOL

Jen said...

Maybe YOU need a babysitter so you and the wifey can get away.

Apparently none of those parents are also teacher because if they were, one of them would've beat you to the "Hey!".

the laundress said...

dude...just wait till you are here...bring a notebook, and maybe a recorder...because MY parenting skills are STELLAR! I rock the soft, discreet, reprimand...turning my children from tantrums and drama queen antics on a dime with one soft yet firm glance of an eye...

..its a gift!

ahahahhahahah!

the laundress said...

and a lie from the pit of HELL

pwdrd donuts said...

Actually, I kind of feel like my yelling is a gift. But I'm anxious to watch your silent child taming.