Monday, June 23, 2008

"Cocoon:" Half pupa enclosure; Half vacation spot


(click here)

If you're looking for meaning in this post, skip it. But know that there is a very important matter at hand. Today I've been thinking about words that are said wrong by kids, adults, village idiots, AND smart people (they're usually the best ones). I love when people in suits, with business degrees and six figure jobs say, "I took my family to see "Circus Olé" instead of "Cirque de Soleil." There's something all ganked about it, and yet it cracks me up! Love it. "Olé!!!" So let's talk about that, shall we?

Here are some others:

-Inn table. It goes at the "end" of your couch. Said this til I was in college.

-Narry road. My grandma. Makes me miss her

-Chester drawers. Still at a loss on this one. Is it a "chest of drawers," or a "chester drawers?" I'm confused.

-Jargum. This is the characteristic language of a particular group of people. My mom uses this one alot. Especially when she is with a group of lawyers. She just doesn't understand their jargum.

-All-some! meaning, "incredible." A friend of mine said he suspected his mother was saying this whenever there was a moment to be celebrated. His suspicions were later confirmed when he had a prayer request answered and he received a text from his mom that said, "Allsome!"

-Frontiture. You sit on this. This weekend our nephew was visiting and said that our dog, Mimi, looked very comfortable on the frontiture. Oh, and his brother (he's two) kept calling Mimi, "Meany."

-Bizarre. Probably one of my favs. My mom got my sister a necklace for christmas one year, and according to my mom, my sister opened the necklace and went "absolutely bizarre!" When I started laughing HARD over the phone, she corrected herself..."I mean Pizzazz."

-"Patch" of cookies. This was from a neighbor of ours when we lived in Kentucky. Surprised?

-Pneumonia. Our apartment used to smell like this alot...well, according to our neighbor. The same neighbor that grew her cookies.

-"Dixie" This was from the neighbor downstairs, same building. Her dog was named Daisy, but she split time between "Dixie" and "Daisy." Love that she never said, "Oops I mean Daisy." Just used them interchangably.

-Cocoon. My mom is getting the raw end here. I kinda feel bad, but she's a good sport. A few years back she informed me that my sister and her husband were "leaving for Cocoon" for a vacation.

-Thee. This is Evalee's last baby word and I hope she never stops using it. She uses it like this; "I wanted to play with their dog but THEE said I couldn't. Thee never let me play with their dog!" Cute huh?

-UNthaw. I still do this to ground beef when I pull it out of the fridge.

Okay, so if you don't know what your wrong word is, alls'yee have to do is ask a loved one or good friend. And just as a warning, they may try saying, "I haven't noticed anything you say wrong," but they are lying. Trust me, they know. They just don't want you to feel dents ;)

Okay, so let's go...I wanna hear some.

Singing off,

With Extry Cheese

24 comments:

jillybean said...

Hilarious! Got introduced to your blog through my father-in-law, Ken Wiesert, and I like to pop over from time to time to enjoy your observations and irony. Greg and I often talk about this very thing. These are just a few examples that we have experienced. I have not diclosed the offender's names. :)

Supposably=supposedly

sore to speak=so to speak

for all intensive purposes=for all intents and purposes

opt to=apt to

exspecially=especially

cuvvards=cupboards (how do you actually say this one-is the 'p' silent?)

hmmm...I'll have to think on this today and maybe I'll come up with some more.

Jillia Wiesert

pwdrd donuts said...

Okay, that's a crack up. I didn't realize it was "intents and purposes." And I must say, supposably adn eXpecially are always ringing in my ears.

thanks for joining the dialogue!

Jen said...

axe= ask

libary= I hate it when people forget the other 'r'.

mines= mine. My students say this all the time. I always ask them what they are going to mine for.

I know there are more...I need to think.

I miss you all too!

CFaith said...

Bryan's grandpa says "Home Dep-Oh" for Home Depot.
Cade says "garage door butt-ints" for the garage door opener. And so far the TV remote is just the "butt-ints". I think that might become a family one that sticks.

CFaith said...

Oh! I thought of one more! When I was teaching in the Flint schools, I noticed that a certain ethnic group would hold their crotch say "I gotta use it" when asking to use the restroom. I was mean, I woud say "use what?" To which they just pleaded "I gotta use it!"

pwdrd donuts said...

I've been corrected (Jillybean) while trying out "intents and purposes." A man in our coffee shop said, "It's intent (no "s") and purposes. He said this while making me an Americano with 3 eXpresso shots. Now that's fast coffee.

Also - irregardless - not a word.

jillybean said...

okay, not wanting to be annoying, but I had to google it just to make sure. It's really amazing how many links pop up when you type in the phrase "for all intents and purposes". it looks like the strictly legal usage is "for all intent and purposes" like your barista said, but "for all intent(s) and purposes" is also correct. what is not correct is "for all intense and purposes". (note spelling)

so, for all intensive purposes, I was correct... :)

Anonymous said...

You r funny! Ok for the record I didn't say bizarre/pizazz Mom did ;) We had a pastor growing up who always used the word "flustrated" his own combo of flustered and frustrated. According to Webster...they have finally made it a word! So my thinking is if enough people use the stupid word...America just accepts it and puts it in Websters.
Anonymus Wee

Anonymous said...

One more thing...maybe we could get channelint accepted ;)

Anonymous said...

How about bring/brang/have brung? I teach school and have gotten into arguements with highly educated parents about brang and brung not actually being correct. Or "seen" as in "I seen that movie already." So annoying! Here are some others:

warter=water

warsh-wash

sposed to= supposed to

copy=coffee

Katie Bautz said...

um HELLO there's only been one week I didn't go to church, just b/c you don't see me there, doesn't mean I'm not! :)

Bill Wolfe said...

i git dis from time ta time. In chi-town we luv'd our saaasages (wit the accent). since we be in indy, i git 2 warsh my ride and threads.

I was going to suggest "warsh" but somebody beat me to it. Thought I'd mix in some ghetto

pwdrd donuts said...

When leaving comments, you must be pacific.

pwdrd donuts said...

C's Faith: "gotta use it" - how very Flint.

Anon Wee: I did say it was mom. And copy = coffee; what?

Katie: did you read what this post was about; no derailing the subject matter.

Wolfe: you are so from whitebread america. Totally gave yourself away. Now, why you all up in my grill when this ain't even a barbecue?!

Jilly: I still think "cuvvards" is probably my new favorite.

the laundress said...

my ex-father in law used to say when referring to a nephew who will never be able to work and will live at home with his folks forever: Uncle Bills no dumby, he knows Billy's and asset!

...fairly certain he meant "liability", which is actually sad that he was speaking about a PERSON!

...also, those folks ate lots of samerches...tuna especially.

and irregardless is my PET PEEVE!

..and do you shop at wal-marts or K-mark down there?

BlondesPoopMascara.blogspot.com said...

My hottie HOT hot wife, still says SCOOTS when someone might need to ie: scootch over on the couch. Her Mom says the same thing. I correct them. And, they giggle joyfully at their wrongness. That, or at me for actually caring enough to bring it up every time. [Ah]

Anonymous said...

I was watching my son's 8th grade spelling bee and a kid spelled "swibble" for swivel. He didn't even know what was wrong, he probably heard swibble all his life!

Beth said...

My all time favorite Matt is a Pastor we use to have would say strenth instead of strength do you remember that???

pwdrd donuts said...

I do remember. How about Gawd? Help me.

Krista said...

nolan says stuffle bag instead of duffle bag....but that's actually cute.....and i'm thinking about marketing it to lillian vernon or something. :)

pwdrd donuts said...

Pack or pact?

Anonymous said...

How about:
pitchers = pictures

granite = granted

And, alls is not a word...

Desire of Great Love said...

(i know this blog is old, oh well)

My sister, Heather still to this day says, "I had ammonia!" She knows she says it wrong, but every time she says it, I still ask her, "What do you mean? You had high ammonia levels in your blood or you had ammonia to clean something?" She rolls her eyes at me as if I'M the dummy and said "You know what I mean."

Jeremy says irregardless all the time and insists it's a word. I just have to look at him now, and he knows :)

The one thing I LOVE to hear little kids say is "Lellow" (for yellow)

My memaw would say: toe-let for toilet

Jer's grandpa says batt-rees for batteries,
gay-rage for garage
pie-anno for piano
Porch Urine (port huron)- I know, right? [fav]

Canadians say
rad-ee-ate-ors, (radiator)
grage (like grab; garage)
doe-ler (dollar)

I always wondered what the word "finna" was until an African American lady at work explained it to me. It's basically an abbreviated version of "fixing to" ie. I'm fixing to go to the store" becomes "I'm a finna to go to the store". Probably Southern, but what are you fixing to go to the store?

Anonymous said...

my mom, bless her heart, always says, "Postrate" instead of "prostate".