Monday, May 19, 2008

Shining Things


In 1997 I went on a mission trip to Honduras. We made our way from the airport in Tegucigalpa, which is literally one runway surrounded by mountains; big ones, to the middle of the jungle in Conchias. Aside from the lack of running water, paved roads, roofed homes, bathrooms, and chicken infested beds (they sleep with them to stay warm), there was something about these people; they were happy.

There were alot of toothless people in Conchias. One of the guys who was guiding us through this mission told us that Hondurans, especially the men, while they're working, love to chew on coffee beans, and that some of them do this all day long.

I remember coming home and the theme of our mission trip being this: "Man, we are sooo blessed here in America." But I didn't feel that way. I mean, yes, I realize that being able to have my daughter pop an ibuprofin to cure her headache, or an antibiotic to cure her illness is a blessing these people do not have. I have shoes and they don't. I have teeth...alot of them don't. We do HAVE here in America; but blessed? - in some ways, I guess.

So what is a blessing? Well if it's our kids then how come we don't enjoy them? If it's our relationships, then how come we don't take time out for them? If it's our church (yes, I hear it all the time "Northview is such a blessing to my family") then how come we don't go? You know what was a blessing to the Hondurans? Family, coffee, laughter, some game with a stick and a chicken. Simple things. They had nothing so complicated as a DVD player of which to call a blessing.

So I've been off all weekend (Fri, Sat, Sun, Mon) and it's been good. Here are the blessings I've had; redecorating my daugther's bedroom (I'm sure you'll catch pics on Heather's blog in the next week or so), my dog (she got the mangiest haircut, or furcut, but we still love her even though she's been transformed into Taco Bell dog), coffee on our front porch, with my wife, my dog, Heather's newspaper, all while watching Evalee water the flowers, knowing that she'd be recieving two Pokemon cards for it. Hmmm...sleeping in. Love it. Having a friend tell me that worship this past weekend, in my absence, was incredible. What else? Friday night with 3 sets of neighbors, all their kids, and a bonfire even though we never left the kitchen. Not showering for two days. Watching SNL until I fell asleep. Having great talks with Heather. Going for a late night walk alone, looking up at the moon and remembering a time in college where I felt the presence of God so close to me. There was a moment on my walk where the moon was shining so bright, and I pretended it was the reflection of God's pupil, like a camera flashes against the lens of our eye. I kept looking up and imagined where His other eye would be laid out in the sky, and then His nose and mouth, and then the rest of His face. Before long, His head alone had taken over all the sky I could see. And I remembered that as big as He is, He enjoys simple things; like me for instance. I walked the rest of the way home and knew that He was watching me, and that He was pleased.

I am blessed, but not because of my residence in the US of A. I'm blessed because I was able to recognize and enjoy the things God has placed in my life; the shining things. God, Heather, my girls, friends, neighbors, Mimi, funny blogs, sad ones, entrepreneurial ones, annuals, perennials, renovations, and coffee. Everything else is just black and white, but these three things remain, God, people, and coffee. And the greatest of these is.... God. ;)

Be blessed by the shining things.

10 comments:

The Liller Family said...

Hmmmmm, I wanna be funny here, but your post has me thinking harder than I normally do this time of night! Makes me wish I had more time to enjoy the "shining things". Maybe I'll just have to make the time... Or maybe the paint, bleach and CLR fumes are getting to me from this weekend (another story for another time, hehehe). Guess I'll sleep on it, definitely has me thinking though.....

the laundress said...

SPEAK IT BROTHER....God and people...and the coffee doesnt even have to be good...as long as you have others to share it with!

Thanks for this today!

Desire of Great Love said...

This is so holy, delicate, lovely, hidden & intimate. I loved reading this. I had a horridly stressful morning, and reading this totally let me unwind and breath again...
thank you for having a good weekend and sharing it with us!

Desire of Great Love said...

PS- your post on Lily Pad PR was totally left- I have it set to where I have to manually approve the comments before they post to the blog. Thanks for checking it out :)

Bill Wolfe said...

Amen, Brother. This world that we live in and the fast pace of most lives steals a lot of the joy in the simple things of life. It's too easy to lose sight of joy and just muddle along. Good for you for taking time this past weekend. I should take a lesson from you.

Desire of Great Love said...

PPS-
Leslie says hi, thanks for the pic comments and it's not a pompadore (sp?) it's a "pump" "What the heck is a pompadore?"(teenagers...eh?)

Brian said...

I think this post is stupid. I like my computer, my cell phone, my other computer, my spaceship, my pda, my gps, my dvd player way better than all that stuff you were talking about. Get real!

pwdrd donuts said...

Brian - I'm a pastor. I must say nice shiny things.

You're a loser.

Brian said...

Ha! I thought you would like my sarcasm. I really did like this post and it made me want to relax this weekend. peace babies,

Brian

pwdrd donuts said...

Brian, did you just butt kiss me?