Sunday, May 11, 2008

DRIVE CONFERENCE


left to right: me, our teaching pastor, our worship arts pastor, our video guy, our tech director

We went to a conference last week, in Atlanta, called "Drive" which I think means move forward or something. It was a good conference and a good time of male bonding, which is always nice.

Scott. (blue t-shirt) made me laugh pretty hard. He loves to make you feel stupid, and since I love that too, we get along. Whenever you go to tell him something that you are sort of surprised about; for instance, "I can't believe how much the tickets cost for that concert." He will make his eyes get all big, and then cover his mouth and say something like, "That's unbelievable!" It's pretty funny actually, and you can't really tell it from this picture, but I pretty much hate him. Look him up under Scotty P and Fam

Jay. (front and center) Well, he's my boss so I have to pretend to like him since he could fire me if he wanted. He has an org list or something, and I think he's above me on it. Not that he should be. I'm pretty sure that just happened by accident. He's lucky he's nice.

Stan. (curly hair and man beard) He's holding a bible. Takes that thing everywhere. I wonder if he feels pressure to do that since he's the teaching pastor. I think I'm going to start carrying around a hymnal. Stan is pretty laid back and easy going; great guy, interesting conversations. He has five kids! That's right, five. Check out his wife's blog here.

Jason. (the baby) The boy is from Murray, Kentucky and proud of it. Says things like, "Wull yeah!" to confirm any question you ask. He says this in sort of a high pitched, Mamaw voice. He also calls a shopping cart a "buggy." Jason edits some serious video. He used to work for the Colts and has a super bowl ring that he keeps...somewhere. Anyway, he is single. Yep - ladies line up. This boy can make a mean casserole!

I enjoyed the conference for the most part. There were a couple real good sessions, but I struggled with one of the speakers who (in my unexpert opinion) had Botox. Not that there's anything wrong with that. I struggled because I like it when people I'm supposed to look up to, are...look up to...able. And the botox made me think that he'd bought into some lie that told him he needed to not have crows feet around his eyes while he pontificated from the platform.(uh huh, that's right). As I have mentioned before, sometimes I struggle to let go of things that are stinky or strange in some way, and botox on a man of 40 something would be one of those things that fits in this category. I was able to let it go once I was able to confirm my suspicions in the bookstore, where I compared his older book pictures with his newer book pictures.

The best part of the conference was the "secret road trip" which landed us in 90 minutes of traffic, which landed us in food lines that had no food left, which landed us eating Brats, several of them, which gave me a stomach ache. But the road trip was awesome because we had no idea what the big surprise was. We all gathered in this big room (we were fourth row - you're welcome men) and watched this blue grass group perform, which none of the rest of us really cared about too much, but Jason "hooted and hollard" like he was at a Hee Haw convention. I'm pretty sure he liked it. After they left the stage, the lights dimmed and a smart car pulled out on the stage; you could feel the tension. "Who's in there? I don't know. Is it someone famous? I don't know? Is it someone from Hee Haw?" So out of the car steps this guy. He made us laugh for a little over and hour. And while I've never really been a big fan of his, I am now. I laughed hard!

That's pretty much it. I came home with some fireworks from a truck stop, so that's good.

Sorry I've been truant on my blog this last week (all my fans). I'll be stepping it up this week.

10 comments:

Desire of Great Love said...

YAY!!! I've missed hearing from you :)
glad you had a good conference- you look so silly in this picture- you goof.

Jen said...

This was a funny post between the botox, heehaw convention and the eating of the Bratz.

I want to make some witty comments but nothing comes to mind. Glad you're back. Glad you had a safe trip.

Jen said...

Sorry but apparently I missed your facial expression the first time I looked at the pic.

Just wanted to let you know that I saw it and that I'm a little creeped out.

Krista said...

wull shooot!

glad ur back!

laughing really hard that you actually checked the back covers....i would SOOOO do that! ha.

The Liller Family said...

Dude - once again you make me laugh! Since I know that team so well, it's probably funnier to me - so I'm probably going to quote some of this stuff to them! HA! Love Jeff Foxworthy too (and I have to admit, I love his game show "Are You Smarter Than A Fifth Grader" - Evan knows more answers than I do, so I probably wouldn't be very good at winning any money . . . maybe I should just stick to having a garage sale to make money! ;o)) Had fun singin' with ya this weekend! Thanks again, for everything!

Bill Wolfe said...

Uhhhh, who's the tall dude in between Jay and Jason? You didn't mention him. He looks familiar....I think I've seen him working at the local Burger King.

Shooting Stars said...

I thought that was a picture of the Backstreet Boys re-united! Glad you had a good time. Was thinking of you and praying for your family. I am headed to NY for the next 3 days. Hope to catch up soon.

the laundress said...

...just FYI...I needed to laugh today...and this did it for me!

...and how old is the single casserole man?

seriously, how old?

pwdrd donuts said...

He's 23. Can you believe it? 23! Could you have bore him? If I were a woman, I could have. When people you work with start telling you that they were born in 1985... okay, i can't even finish that thought. I am getting OLD!

the laundress said...

23...SERIOUSLY...THATS WRONG! and yes, thank you I could have birthed him! How pathetic...I'm currently feeling a little creepy for even asking....or maybe desperate....my daughters old BF told me if he was 20 years younger he'd date me! ahahahhahahahh