Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Idol Recap: Sheer Frustration


Okay, it's time to lay it on the line!

Round One
David Archuletta "And So it Goes"
I thought this was a real moment for him. His voice is just gorgeous. He is a great singer. Loved that Paula picked this song, even though she's retarded.

Syesha "If I Ain't Got You"
Excellent. Great Control. I wish she wouldn't have been wearing a ball gown for a song like that, but still great job.

David Cook "The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face"
I thought it was good; not great, but good. I was glad to hear that he was doing this song, but felt a little let down by the performance.

Round Two
David Archuletta “Boo”
It was good, but just “fine” good, not “good” good. He said “Boo” and I’m against using words like this in songs. It just strange and wrong. He did get mixed up in his lyrics at one point, which I guess I’ll cut him a break since they had to learn three songs this week – and he is 17 – but he has done this the last few times, so he’s going to need to get this sorted out. It was still good, and he did show off some pretty cool vocal gymnastics here and there. Sometimes his hair is a little…Hair Club for Men though. He needs to work on that.

Syesha "Fever"
I thought this was excellent. I thought it totally showed who she was as an artist (contrary to what Paula said ((drugs))). And her control...was really impressive. Okay, so yes, "more contemporary" is definitely an arguable complaint, but still...it was too good to have all that nasty commentary. Someone wants a Double-David finale. Whatever!

David Cook "Dare You to Move"
I thought it was bad. It went nowhere; bad song choice. His pitch has been a real problem the last couple weeks. This, in my opinion was not good, musical and nowhere close to the original, which I love. Bummer for Dave. And you can't just stand there. Gimme some jumps or splits or something.

Round Three
David Archuletta "Longer"
"Gooey" was a perfect description; but his vocals.... I love them. The song was too old and...I dunno...just old and...TV romantic love song album for sale-ish. Ya know? Doesn't matter though, finals for sure for little Davey Poo
.

Syesha "???"
I have never heard that song and don't care if I ever do again. I felt bad for her. This song sucked. She sang it okay, not great, but who cares about that song. They may as well have chosen "Short People" by Randy Newman for her to sing. I think she got the song choice shaft. Still the judges went too hard on her. And PAULA!!! When has Paula EVER said one word about who should make it in the finals??? Never, that's when. I couldn't believe she hung her out to dry like that. Total bummer. No finals for Syesha.

David Cook "I Don't Wanna Miss a Thing"
I am totally serious when I say...horrible. I think he was off pitch the entire time. It was WAY under par. But the judges gave him good reviews and basically said, "See you in the finals." Whatever. I'm mad. Aerosmith was supercool on this song, David was not.

Here are my final thoughts. IF by some large miracle, Syesha beat out David Cook for the finals, it really wouldn't matter, because she is not going to win this, and I don't think she should; but I'd be happy to see her take him out after tonight. David Cook came in 3rd tonight, in my opinion. David A is winning this thing; and he should. Not that he's worked hard for it and deserves it. You can't work hard for something when you're 17. People like Bo Bice had worked hard...putting away years in bars and gigs for pennies, honing their craft. But since the American dream does not always require hard work, David A deserves it. This is about idols, not hard work. If Syesha knocked out David Cook tomorrow night, I would feel that justice was still alive in this world. I will be bummed (at least right now I would) if David Cook won this thing... but I think it's pretty much impossible for anyone besides David A to win. And don't forget, next week they pull out the sappy, "All Your Dreams Are Coming True" song, which is totally Archuletta's niche. I think he has bagged this.

In the finals:
David and David

Going Home tomorrow:
Syesha

Should be:
David Cook

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

i think paula realizes that david and david are the ones with the best futures in pop/rock music whereas syesha is good but probably will end up on broadway and not with a recording contract

The Liller Family said...

Gotta agree with you here - I was cringing when David Cook was singing - and I thought Syesha did pretty well considering the songs "they" picked for her! Oh well, guess the teenyboppers are going to put David A over the top, but Cook and Syesha will still probably make it in the industry.

I'm actually going to be sad when AI is over, cuz' I really love your commentaries! ;o)

Shannon said...

So true. And too sad for David Cook, because out of all of them I like his potentials for what he could do in the future. David A...just doesn't do it for me...what will he do in the future? I just can't picture it. And what will his father do? ;)

KDV said...

Matt, LOVE your comments! You make me laugh! I miss you, Heather, and the girls so much! Love you!

Anonymous said...

What? You're blaming David A.'s memory on him being 17?? I'd love to have the brain cells I had at 17. I think it's just stress, not age. (Otherwise, I have no excuse, right?)

Anonymous said...

BTW, I've always wished I were the type to just be able to make up words or cleverly rearrange them when I'm suddenly left in the dark in a glaring vocal moment. But no...I'm closer to a deer-...ok, can't bring myself to tell you. But I do think you should ask John about his personal rendition of "Time in a Bottle". He's got that Archuletta thing down pat.

pwdrd donuts said...

yes, but davey boy's arrangement of words, was more like an arrangement of syllables. You need a blog - i want to be a voyeur in you and John's life. :)