Wednesday, April 23, 2008

IDOL RECAP: Final 6



Syesha

I didn't think she did as well as everyone seemed to think. Great voice, but even her version of "tons of personality" is a little boring. She looked great though, but I think she's going home.

David Archuletta
He opened his eyes! That was a step in the right direction. He sang the best of the evening, but that's not surprising. I think he's got this competition in the bag

Carly
Loved her dress. Best she's ever looked. She chose a great song for her, but the key??? It was too high for her in the chorus. And I still think she is still a little stiff in her performances. Just let go.

Brooke
Since it was literally the first 2 bars of the song, I thought starting over was fine. She was still pitchy in those sustained notes. She has gotten a little worse each week in my opinion. Totally forgettable performance.

Jason
I actually thought his voice sounded very pretty on this song. I thought he was second best of the evening. He had those ugly shoes on again though.

David Cook
Well...even though he is my fav, I must say I thought this was an average performance of the song. I thought alot of his phrasing was rushed and not very heart felt. The thingy at the end, the little "I Will Always Love You: Whitney Houston" ending, was corny.

Overall evalution:
Andrew Lloyd Weber made a point of letting these kids know that his songs are stories and are about the story telling. As a writer once put it, "Stories only happen to people who can tell them." My point is, have these kids had enough life experience to tell their stories through these songs? I don't think so. And if they have, do they understand how the events in their lives have shaped them? My guess is no.

That being said, it was interesting to see these young performers early in their careers, unable to communicate or get across the nature of their songs. It's much easier to communicate angst and anger at these ages, than it is to interpret love and pain. One of the only past Idol performers that could have done this night justice, in my opinion, would have been Fantasia.

Leaving tonight: Syesha
Should be: Brooke

6 comments:

Jen said...

Wow, we really couldn't disagree more, huh?

pwdrd donuts said...

I know. Usually we agree on music. But then that's when I was your leader. You must've gone downhill since you've left.

Jen said...

Or maybe I've moved on and moved up...

I can't believe Brooke wasn't even in the bottom two. And Jason Castro? Ugh! I don't know if I can handle on more week.

I think I've decided I want David Cook to win.

The Liller Family said...

Jen, I agree with you! Brooke should've been OUT OF THERE! What is wrong with these people??? How are ya by the way??? We miss you here.

Mattster - love your recaps, you crack me up as always and I agree with most of your analysis' - still think Brooke and all her nervouseness and screwups should be out of there, and Jason should be next - didn't expect Carly to leave so soon - I liked her style! But Mr. Cook is still my favorite overall. Too bad with all the little teeny-bopper fans out there, Hernandez will probably win. Heavy sigh...

Desire of Great Love said...

so I promise not to hijack your log this time...
Here it is wrapped up in a neat little bow from my angle:
It will be the 2 David's at the end- Cook is indeed talented and more versatility vocally than David A,
but he is SUCH a cocky son of a wench- it annoys the heck outta me. David A has talent, but I also have to think about experience on his end. To be honest, I don't think he'd go anywhere until he was of legal age and out from under his dad's control. You always know what you're going to hear from him too, so while I think he's an amazing singer (better voice than Cook), he's a repeat offender: closes his eyes all the time, messes up words, and always sounds the same. It is my opinion these 2 guys will be the last 2 at the end, and I have to think Cook will win because he's older w/ experience, amazing arranging qualities (STILL love "Always Be My Baby" I hope he records it), and stage experience- he has great stage presence!

(I think Castro's shoes came out of the ACTUAL 80's- I think my dad had a pair, only they were grey & pink... YIKES!)

(I'm shocked, but thrilled Carley is out of the picture- see previous rant on previous recap comments)

I LOVE Andrew Lloyd Webber & his songbird wife, Sarah Brightman- they are both brilliant... I wish she could've sang on the show- how amazing would that have been???

KDV said...

Matt . . . couldn't agree more with you! I thought Brook or Jason should have gone home . . . what's up with that! I think the "David's" are the best - - probably David Cook will be our next Idol!
HOW ARE YOU?? I'm missing you and Heather! When are you coming to Flint Town?? Call us! Love you! xox