Thursday, April 17, 2008

I Used to Hate Food...Those Days are Over!

Heather would tell you that I've never been a big eater. I've been told I eat like a bird. I've even been imitated by a friend who would peck at this plate at lunchtime and say, "Hey you guys, who am I?" The things normal people do, like snack in the evenings during TV time, I've never done. Sometimes I'd actually skip meals because it was inconvenient to eat; what with all the pulling crap out of the fridge and trying to find the mustard. On occasion, when I've gotten so hungry that I knew I needed to eat (to survive) I'd eat a few pieces of bread. Easy. Filling.

I've heard Heather say things like, "Just once it would be so great to hear YOU say, 'Oooo, let's stop at Dairy Queen!'" Or, "How do you sit there for 3 hours straight, watching TV and not once get up and walk to the kitchen?"

Okay, so that was then.

This past summer I began to face some pretty big issues in my life. (None of your business. This is not that kind of blog, sheesh!) I had heard of "comfort food" but had never experienced what it was to gaze at a bowl of ice cream romantically.

To be honest, it started with a little sugar here, and a little sugar there. And before long, it was a little sugar everywhere, and things began to get out of hand. I was eating up all the kid's lunch snacks, and arguing with them about it. "Chloe, is that the last cereal bar? Give it here. Now!" That sort of garbage. This past Halloween was like Christmas for me. I ate so much candy but never got sick. In the past I've always been one to throw the halloween candy away after a couple weeks or so. And I had plans to throw it out, but instead hid it in the garage just in case.

This last Easter I actually ate peeps! Which have always been pure nastification to me. But these were purple peeps, which I hadn't seen before, and for some reason they just looked...so...tasty, and...delectable. Heather showed me how to eat them. I didn't know eating peeps could be plotted and planned, but I was wrong. First you tear out their eyeballs with your fingers. Then you bite their little heads off and suck on them for about a minute or so. And then you shove the rest of the nisty-nasty marshmallow and sugar baby chicken body in your mouth. Mmmmm!

Okay, so. Ice Cream. Love it. I eat BIG BOWLS OF ICE CREAM. Big ones. And I usually go back for a refill, or if I feel bad, I just pull out the box and eat it at the counter because that doesn't really count.

I was at some friend's house not too long ago, and they asked me if I wanted some ice cream to which I replied, "Yes please." When she brought it to me, I guess it was probably what most people would consider a normal bowl of ice cream, ya know, a couple scoops or so. Alright. This is how I know I'm a little out of control. I was mad at her. No kidding. I was seriously irritated when she brought it to me. Like what was I supposed to do with this tiny little frickin' bowl of ice cream? I'd rather not have any thank you very much.

But I ate it up. Cookies and Cream.

So tonight I learned something new. I'm guessing that some of you may already know this, but these are things I'm learning, feeling, craving, for the first time in my life. So tonight I opened up the tub of Ice Cream. I was about to start the horrible task of digging it out with the big spoon ( great exercise) when I thought, "I don't feel like digging. I'll just eat out of the box and put it back when I'm finished." There was a little over half of a half gallon.

I ate it all. It was Snicker's.

And while eating from the box proved to be convenient, it was not such a good idea. I ate til I was sick. But I was happy - and all my problems disappeared.

I don't plan on doing this forever. I realize that I will need to give this up at some point; and I plan to. But for now, I'm enjoying enjoying my food. Did you catch that? MY food. A warning sign. So let me know if you have any pointers. Not quitting pointers. Eating pointers.

25 comments:

The Bartlett Brothers said...

Matt, I came across your blog because it was connected to someone elses - it makes me laugh! Can I like mine to yours so others can read it?!? Don't worry about the pounds... enjoy life and eat some ice cream.

Beth said...

First of all your fingers look extremely long in that pic. Second, you know where to come if you want a good size bowl of icecream. To bad you live so far away. You know John would hook you up!!!

pwdrd donuts said...

Bartlett,

I'd love to have some new friends. Link away.

Beth,

Can you believe I ate peeps? What is wrong with me?

Jen said...

Ummm...welcome to my world?

Jen said...

About the comments, have them linked to your email so that you can read them that way. Then you always know when someone comments.

I can usually tell on my most recent post when someone has commented because the number has changed on my 'post' page. But for older posts, it's nice to have it linked to my email.

Go to 'settings'. Click 'comments'.
Scroll down to the box that says "Comment Email Notification" and write your email in there.

The Liller Family said...

And this is why I love your blog!!! Belly laughter is such a good thing for the spirit! At least now I know I can get you a gift certificate for Cold Stone or Handel's and it would probably make you REALLY happy!!!

The Peeps things scares me a little, but I've never been much of a marshmellow person unless I'm roasting them over the fire . . . I just love to watch them BURN! hehehe.

pwdrd donuts said...

Jen, thanks for the help - but i meant if someone comments on my comment on THEIR page. Gosh - what is your problem?!?!

Lillahhh, Heather asked me last week what it would take for me to clean out the refrigerator. You know what I said? "A surprise from the Grocery." She brought me home an apple pie. I ate over half of it the next morning for breakfast. Chloe was watching me and said, "Geez Dad, that's alot of pie."

Jen said...

Explain yourself better next time. Geesh!

Sorry, there is no way. You just have to go back and look. If you can handle all that extra work...

Krista said...

so i was amused enough just reading your blog, and then scrolling down and hitting the picture....that made my day. i need to get photoshop. i'm laughing my butt off....
did you ever catch my blog about what i caught my purple peeps doing this year....well i had to delete it, it was adult material.
btw: i frequently drown my sorrows standing at the kitchen counter with peanut butter cup ice cream and spoon in hand. who needs a bowl?

The Laird Family said...

Hey Matt,

I go to Northview and got linked to your site from another one. I cannot tell you just how funny you are. Thanks for the laughs! I'm part of the Matt Bays Blog Fan Club now! Can I link you from my site?

Anitra

The Liller Family said...

Dang Matt, guess we're never gonna get you to share the pie or the ice cream!!! I just luuuuvvvv apple pie for breakfast - so NOT on Body For Life, but who needs that diet crap anyway! ;o) Meet ya at Capstone for a Bronzer!!! Yup, that's my addiction! Hmmmm, maybe a Bronzer on top of a piece of apple pie...

pwdrd donuts said...

The bronzer over the piece of pie? That is seriously nastiness. You love those Bronzers, don't you?

Krista, Heather explained what she remembers about the peeps. There are other blogsites for that.

the laundress said...

...is no one acknowleding your need for therapy? You said staight up that you were hashing up so "old issues"

....hence...the need for comfort food...duh.....I hope to H*&^ ur not paying 125 and hour for what I just gave you fo free dude...JESUS...GOD OF ALL COMFORT (food is like YOU understood)!

GeT ur muzzle outta the feed bag, and be about ur bizness!! ahhahahahahahhahahahahahah!!!!


STRAIGHT UP!

the laundress said...

....ALSO I CANT WAIT TO MEET YOU AT BETH'S POOL...AT WHICH POINT I'M SURE YOU WILL SAY....

"SISTER...LOOK WHO'S TALKIN' BOUT FEED BAGS!"

Bill Wolfe said...

Dude, you must have a stomach of steel...a half a gallon of snickers ice cream?...impressive.

Put down the peeps though...yuck

if you like chocolate peanut butter ice cream, have you tried Oberweis? good stuff.

Anonymous said...

I like mashed potatoes.

Bill Wolfe said...

Matt, you're affecting my subconscious:

http://camden-caleb.blogspot.com/2008/04/big-mouth-bites-darn-that-matt-bays.html

Jen said...

All these comments are making me hungry.

Our Family said...

oooo you really struck a chord with this comfort food thing...

cookies and cream malt...cookie dough...for cookie dough sake(omit eggs and add pb instead...mmmmm) and warm delights (yes that's a food item)

Jenni said...

Ice cream is a weakness of mine, too. I have a couple scoops about every night after dinner. And not just when I'm pregnant. Plus, Andy and I usually go to DQ every weekend. I'm really digging the new Tin Roof Blizzard - it has salty peanuts covered in chocolate - oh my! So here's my ice cream eating tip. When eating ice cream full of chunks (like Snickers), eat mostly ice cream and save the chunks to make your final bites oh-so memorable! Happy eating :)

pwdrd donuts said...

Jenni, Very practical eating advice. I'm excited to give it a try. Thank you.

Katie, Warm delights sounds almost as bad as peeps. I'll have to give them a try.

Laundress, I don't know about you, but I'm actually sort of proud of my little pooch. Since we've never met, I'm sure you don't realize that I weigh all of 163 lbs, at 6'1" So yes, I'm skinnny - BUT - I have fat for the first time in my life. And I'm kinda digging it. So we'll parade it around Beth's pool together.

Desire of Great Love said...

Matt Bays has fat? yeah right...
And I'm Kate Moss on crack! LOL

Jen said...

I just noticed the long fingers...scarey.

Jen said...

Oh, by the by, I just commented on my blog about your last rediculous comment.

hv said...

Matt...do you remember this summer when you tasted some of Steve's banket and had a "moment"? I mean the way you explained your "experience" eating it was a bit scary...especially coming from you...Mr. "I don't care about food" Then you went on to explain some type of donut you would buy back in Flint. As I was reading your post this was all I could think of. You have changed my man...you have changed.