Wednesday, April 16, 2008

A.I. Recap

ALLLLLLLRighty!

David Archuletta
He is TOOOO YOUNG! I'm afraid he will turn out like Michael Jackson if he wins. Boys his age cannot handle all the crazy "Beatle-ish" attention of girls pulling their hair out at the sight of them. This is how they end up with a nose the size of a Tic Tac. But his vocals are very pretty. And I love his voice. Who cares about that song though? I thought it was a little boring.

Carly Smithson
Her husband has his face tattooed. I'm still too mad about that to comment on her.

Syesha
I thought she did beautiful last night. Best performance of the evening. In past weeks I have thought, "This girl has a TON of raw talent, but does not know how to treat a song."
Treat A Song: To not just sing a song, but to vocally interpret it in "your own way" and sing it from your heart. Oh, shut up, I know that sounds retarded.

Brooke White
I actually breathed a sigh of relief when she was done. I sort of felt like a team of wild horses dragged her through that performance. When they did a close up of her at the end of the song, she was all shakey like she was 2 days into a stint at rehab. But I must say, she is INSECURE. Everytime they say something negative, she's all like, "I know, I know, I just..." and then she goes trailing off. Not a fan (of her theology either.)

Kristy Lee Cook
I have literally screamed "GO HOME" to the TV in past weeks as she has sang. Last night, she did pretty good. And I like that song as a country song, even though I detest country music. The girl has serious breath control though. Anyone notice where she took her last breath? It was quite a ways before the end -and she held onto to it forever. She's winning me over...a little.

David Cook
Great arranger. He has totally been my favorite, and still is. Love him. BUT... he didn't sing very good last night. Loved the potential of what it could have been is a great way to sum it up. He needed to punch it up toward the end. Wasn't very good.

Jason Castro
Besides the fact that he sort of looks like Mariah, he did good. What were those shoes saying though. Wow. I think they were saying, "someone get me a sock tie and a pair of egyptian baggies.

Mariah Carey
Not a fan at all. She is irritating. However, she was super sweet and encouraging to all of them, which slightly redeemed her in my eyes. (Pretty sure she doesn't care.) Oh, and I thought it was sweet when she lied to Kristy Lee Cook and told her that she gave her chills.

Who will go home:
Should:
Kristy Lee Cook (I'm trying to be fair)
Will: Syesha. (bummer) She's has been much better recently.

My top 3: (top to bottom)
David Cook
David Archuletta
Carly Smithson

My bottom 3: (top to bottom)
Jason Castro
Kristy Lee Cook
Brook White

Let me know what you think...

12 comments:

Beth said...

We think Brooke is going home tonight, but I pretty much agree with everything else you said Simon! Why did Mariah have flesh colored balloons in her shirt though?

The Liller Family said...

I also think Brooke is going home - really didn't think she was that good yet the judges seemed to praise her . . . just can't figure them out - when I think they should rip one of the contestants, they give them compliments, hmmmm

Anyway, David Cook has always been my favorite - he's got the total package and I LOVE his arrangements, even last nights! I hope he wins it all!!!

oh and p.s. I love Carly Smithson too, despite her tatooed freak of a husband! ;o)

Jen said...

Okay, so you and I agree on everything I think. I enjoyed the comments you left on my blog. Very funny.

Favorite quote..." This is how they end up with a nose the size of a Tic Tac."

I laughed right out loud!

Anonymous said...

How can you watch A*I ?

we are told be OF the world...not IN it!

pwdrd donuts said...

Anonymous, Wow - powerful.

Beth (the bratty one) I never saw any balloons.

Lillahhhh, I was a little surprised at some of the idol love last night too. A couple didn't deserve ravs.

Jen, do you feel privileged that I agree with you? That's quite the honor.

Beth said...

We were both wrong on who would go home. You were kinda right, because that's who you thought should. By the way Mariah looked great last night singing, Andrew said so!

Bill Wolfe said...

I never got sucked in to AI in the past but for some reason this season we've been watching. Missed it this week, but David Cook rocks.

I don't want to start a big debate on Pwdrd Donuts' blog, but Anonymous, come on, you can't be serious.

pwdrd donuts said...

Something up with her performances though. I have this feeling that she is lip-syncing the ends of her songs when all the belting occurs. And she always seems sooooo nervous.

I kinda felt bad for K.L. but I think it was right. Although when Brooke was annoyingly saying, "We don't know what's going to happen" and trying to defend K.L. - I was like, "Shut up - I so hope it's you, ya christiany, christian's christian."

pwdrd donuts said...

Bill, if anonymous is serious then they are on the wrong blog - not to mention how nice I've been to not point out that they've got the scripture backwards, cause that would just be embarrassing. :)

the laundress said...

....ahhaahah...thats exactly what I thought when I read "anonymous's" post

freudien slip perhaps...curious!

Desire of Great Love said...

I have such mixed feelings about this whole season seeing how so many of them have already worked with Simon, Randy, Clive Owen, had deals with Geffen & other labels, music videos, etc. I'm still watching it, but with a sour taste in my mouth. I have agreed with you about KLC for FOREVER- she would anger me so much when Simon would critique her- she has such a pompous attitude- even the night she was voted off "At least I made it past the top 10". What a brat!

Both Jeremy & I have agreed if Carly wins we'll never watch AI again. She had been signed to Geffen Records (under her maiden name), and a top single and even a music video, I'm Gonna Blow Your Mind. In fact, one song on her album, Ultimate High, Kelly Clarkson redid Carly's Song, "Just Missed the Train" on her album "Thankful" (see the video comparison. This is how she paid to open her own Tattoo shop in Cali, and she had to marry someone to get her green card!

What's even more ridiculous is KLC's story. She had been signed to the same record label as Carrie Underwood and was dropped because she was unmarketable (no connection to the music at all... didn't she struggle with that ALL through AI?) An Indie label picked her up, did a music video for her (SOOOO LAME- gotta love the confederate flag hanging in her bedroom!), and then they dropped her as well... why? UNMARKETABLE. I guess she just didn't learn... she "broke" america's heart with a FAKE story about selling her horse to go try out for AI (she had a deal w/ Clive Owens to get on the show) and STILL America voted SHE IS UNMARKETABLE- forgettable and a lousy singer. yeck. enough about barbie wanna be.

David Cook... he really sounds to me of a Christian Rock/Praise Singer- Todd Agnew-ish. I have TOTALLY NOT been a fan of his attitude during the whole time... He's very into himself TOO MUCH, I think he knows/believes he's going to win this season, and he sounds flat to me a lot- especially this week BUT (and this is a HUGE but) the MC song he did happens to be my favorite MC song (reminds me of the good times when I was 16) and I absolutely ADORED his version. It was superb... totally up there with Blake Lewis' live version of Bon Jovi's "Shot through the heart". So, my respect for David shot through the roof after that.
David A. needs to go back and just sing for his church and punch his dad in the nose (his dad has been reported to scream in David's face- especially the day he messed up the lyrics for the 1st Lennon/McCarthy night)- total bad stage parent to the extreme).
I love Brooke, but she needs to STOP playing the piano when she sings, or learn the parts better.
She was mind blowing when she sang "Let it Be", but she was SO nervous about messing up the piano part she was playing, she totally didn't concentrate on what she was singing,and yeck happened. I think it would be more graceful to place her shoe on her foot BEFORE she got up from the piano (while the crowd clapped) than being purposely awkward on stage.
I love Jason because he's staying true to him, but no one's looking to sign a new Jack Johnson- UNLESS VFTW chooses him to be their next idol (it's how KLC stayed on as long as she did!).

Syesha=SyNOsha. You're one million percent correct about her. She needs more experience to know how to treat a song.

IDK if I'm missing anyone- if I am, they must not be that important, right?
Oh yeah- totally MC... If anyone thought she was being real for a SECOND needs to check their reality and realize how insanely gullible they really are.
MC is KNOWN as an acting DIVA- she wouldn't even sing on the same stage w/ Christina Aguilera at the 1998 VH1's Diva concert- what makes you think she's going to be genuine with a bunch of AI nobodies? It was all a marketing stunt for her new album. Did anyone feel like they were in Choir Class watching her sing with her hand motions?
Ugh...

Man... I'm a real wench, aren't I? I just think this season sucks, and is more riddled than ever in "rigged-ness" and industry rejects instead of "undiscovered talent" like they claim. Maybe they had to resort to this because they feel they've seen what America has to already offer, and they have to make money, so they throw in rejects and see how far they can go.

okay, enough soapbox talk for Me.

I sang "I can't Make You Love Me" for the Karaoke League Contest wk 2 last night. Not a hard song at all, but it was country night, and I really didn't want to sing any Faith, Martina, Chicks or Carrie so I went kinda old school. We have 8 members, and I was LAST, and everyone told me it was the best they'd ever heard me sing-ever. I'm like, what? Are you drunk? Ok then. So weird, because I totally think I did better last week on "Fallin".. whatever- it's fun, and everyone wins cash at the end of the 8 weeks, so it's worth it. It's the only chance & place I get to sing anymore...

LOVE THE AI RECAPS MATT- YOU'RE AWESOME!

Desire of Great Love said...

wow.. that was really long... sorry!