Saturday, March 14, 2009

SHOW ME!!! Backstage Access

Our church is doing a series called "Show Me." This post is not about that series. It's about why I love my job... and why I love THIS part a lot!

Our theme for the 4 week series is "Vaudeville Theatre." Kinda ties in with the whole "Show Me" idea. Anyway, I love being creative. So when we decided to do a full red drape, theatre style - and our Tech guy, my good friend Scott said, "Who's gonna take the red fabric and make it look like a red curtain in a Broadway theatre?" I said, "Cough, cough - e'hem. Me... get out of the way. Let me at it!"

So here is the process below. There is so much involved in these set designs... and I learned a lot about what goes on with our sets (I don't usually do much with the sets). But running wire, hanging lights (and re-hanging them if they don't work right) is all a part of it. Very cool.

I was stunned with the outcome - and if I walked into a church and it looked like this, I'd be wondering how they pulled it off. (Not bragging - but c'mon - this set RulZ!

So let the tour begin. Here we go....




This is me snatching Scott's "fabric only" scissors to cut another zip tie while he wasn't looking. He's so "responsible." Creativity must not be squelched! When he was looking, I had to bite the end of those things off with my teeth. Makin' do baby... just makin' do.




LOVE this. Gotta click on the pic for the full effect.




We did the sides too... so those in the side seats would get the full effect. This is probably my favorite pic. The lighting cue is orange... which I would NEVER have done with the red curtain... but it is totally sweet. Our guys know wassup!




Rockin' out on "Hosanna," cuz praise is rising.
I hope you've enjoyed your private personal tour of the "Show Me" set. Thanks for coming, enjoy the rest of your day at Cedar Point... the aMAZEment park. (I'm not sure why either.)

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

That looks great!!

Amy said...

No way did you just quote Cedar Point...'America's Roller Coast'...Grew up going there...best amuzement park ever...and I've never found one better!

Cool set! What a fun idea!

smchurchie said...

Matt- It looks totally awesome! Congrats to your hard work!! :)

Beth said...

I am so jealous....I should have went to work with you when I was there. You know how I love fabric making something out of it. How awesome! Wish I was there to worship!

by the way you are a brat.

Anonymous said...

I miss stuff like that in church! Can't wait to get back to Indy to see you guys!

Desire of Great Love said...

O.M.G. That looks so amazing. You did such a great job- I am blown away. seriously. it looks stunning and extremely authentic. I'm w/ Amy- I miss stuff like this!!! you rock & yes, you are a brat.

Anonymous said...

The first time I saw it I literally thot, "Wow, the curtain is amazing! Who did they find to do that?". Then when John told me you did it, I was like...well, duh, of course he did. Great job!

The Liller Family said...

Your extra curricular talents still continue to amaze me!!! ;o) Maybe I'll have you come make some curtains for my house! HA! Looking forward to this weekend - we're gonna have a blast with the worship set! Love it!

pwdrd donuts said...

440 dohner dr. Lancaster, Pa 17602