Friday, March 6, 2009

Good for the Soul



Well it was a crazy week. The good thing about working on your soul is, you get to know yourself better - and you begin to understand what makes you tick. I'm figuring that out. Blaming used to be, well... useful. It proclaimed my innocence. That worked for about 10 years... then it stopped. So these days, if something gets me down or depressed, I go inside. Inside me. I start asking questions and trying to figure out what's broken. I'm getting pretty good at it.

Part of the healing process for me is to be creative. For some people it's a chore to be creative (yet they may LOVE doing taxes - it happens...for real.) For me, painting something, pinning something, using a paper clip and an elastic string torn from my sock to make something do what I want it to do just happens to be right up my alley.

Today I decided to be fresh... happy... enjoy the day. And I have. Best part of my day? Lunch. I was driving in my car - sun roof and windows down (get a sun roof - pay extra - steal one from the junkyard and make it work. I've got some extra elastic strings from my socks if you need them for installation.) Okay, so I'm way in to American Idol. Of course most of us (don't lie) have thought of what song we would audition with if we were actually young enough to go try out for American Idol. At least I have. Used to be "Just Once" by James Ingram, until I heard some other guy do it better than I could. I'm not gonna be that guy. So I changed my song. Now it's "Sunday Morning" by Maroon 5. Love that song. So today in my car, on the way to lunch, I allowed myself to go through the audition I'd be entitled to if I were under 30.

I walked in the audition room... Fantasia, Carrie Underwood, Reuben and Taylor were all on that banner thing behind me. I began talking to the judges, and said a couple normal things like "I'm just so proud to be here...." I was surprised at how comfortable I was. I wasn't nervous at all. Then I went into my song. (Yes, I actually sang it in my car.) And I have to say... I actually did really well. The judges were pretty impressed. They didn't think I was very commercial, but they liked that I picked a song that suited me. So I ended up making it through, which I felt was a great accomplishment. I hope I make the top 12. I think that's next week. I need some song ideas. I don't wanna be a Tatiana and do the same song THREE TIMES!

Anyway - it might sound stupid (or even be stupid) but it has been a great day. I mean, how can you have a bad day when you've been given stellar reviews from Simon, Paula, Kara, and Randy? It's kinda impossible.

So the sun, the singing, the fabricated audition, the fact that I'm probably going to make it to the top 2 or 3 (who knows WHAT will happen) was good for my soul. Really good. Chased my blues right out of town. I'll be leading worship this weekend. It's good to go into it with your head clear... and since mine is, I should be good to go on Sunday morning.

4 comments:

Milla Crew said...

You crack me up! You brought Jenny and I real joy this evening. I am an AI addict as well, and I think discovering this blog will enhance my viewing experience this year. I haven't thought about what song I would sing, but next time I drive around by myself I may have to audition as well. We do have a sunroof so I am hoping Simon, Kara, Paula, and Randy are as kind to me.

Brent Miller

Anonymous said...

Seriously...I have thought about my song a million times...I really think I would go with Betty Davis Eyes...since I like that whole sultry voice thing...but I would have to have a cold to make it work. I think I would make it into the top 2 or 3 also..but not on my voice...i would win them over with personality ;) I really think they would love me...really love me! Happy Weekend! Wee

Anonymous said...

After hearing the judges in my head after I sang Betty Davis Eyes they wanted me to be more relevant so I choose "If you like it then you better put a ring on it" that would get their attention! WEE

KDV said...

Matt!! I'd vote for ya! Keep singing! Love you and miss you much! xo