Tuesday, June 30, 2009

The Glass Castle


I have to tell you about this book. If you are looking for a good summer read, The Glass Castle is exactly that. Heather's friend lent it to her, and when I saw it lying on our kitchen counter, I picked it up and made it an official read of my "stay"cation.

The Glass Castle is a memoir, not a novel, and is written by journalist, Jeannette Walls. She writes about her very strange childhood, sharing memories of her father, mother, brother, and sisters. She tells how her parents refused to conform to society’s ideas of responsibility. These were interesting and intelligent (brilliant actually) parents who were leaving their children to fend for themselves. But she tells her story without anger or self-pity, recalling memories that will shock you, and recalling them with an almost innocent presentation of the facts.

First line of the book: "I was on fire." And she's not kidding. What a great line to reel you in.

And I have to say, this book is NOT depressing and sad; it is fun, entertaining, thought provoking, and a quick easy read. There were times I was rolling at situations this woman remembers. It's one of those books that makes you go "Oh, that's right, I remember crap like that from my adolescence."

I'd recommend it to anyone, but for any of you who had a crazy childhood like mine, well... you HAVE to read this book!

Here's where you can pick it up for $9.00

I never really buy books for people, but the day after I finished it, I picked up a copy and sent it to my sister.

If you end up reading it, let me know. If you've already read it, comment and let me know what you thought.

5 comments:

designHER Momma said...

I think I read this book last summer - it's one of the best books I've ever read. And to think that it's true - is almost unbelievable.

I loved, loved, loved it!

Beth said...

Tell your sister to send me her copy when she is done. Just kidding I think I will buy it.....you know me it has to be an easy read though.

pwdrd donuts said...

It is Beth...you'll love it.

Anonymous said...

Hey Matt! Thanks for the suggestion. I picked it up at the library an read it through in a few days. Very interesting. Like you said, parts were so ridiculous they were funny but when I was reminded that it was actually someone's life and not fiction, I became very sad- must be the social worker in me. ;)

Be sure to pass other suggestions along. I am always a fan of your movie and AI reviews too!

Liza

jen cox said...

Love this book--it's only of my all-time favorites. Judging from your recommended reads on nvcl.org, we seem to have similar taste in books. I highly recommend "Same Kind of Different As Me" by Ron Hall & Denver Moore. Fantastic read!