Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Lead-offs



When I was in elementary school we played kickball. Constantly. We played it everyday during recess. Before each game started, we had to re-establish the rules. One question you always heard was...

"Are there lead-offs?"

Lead-offs were when you were on a base, waiting for the next kicker to kick, and you took two or three steps toward your next base BEFORE the ball was kicked. If you had a good lead-off, you almost never missed your base on a decent kick.

Sometimes we played with them; sometimes we didn't.

I'm so dang ready for spring. I spent most of yesterday feeling blue... or should I say white.... or sludgy brown. Anyway, I wasn't being honest about how I felt and that is never a good thing. "Fine," I say. "Nothing is wrong," (lifted eyebrows - tightened lips) "I'm totally good." I wasn't. I was blue. And when I'm feeling blue, I always think I'm not doing enough good in the world... or accomplishing enough... and making my dreams come true... etc.

I was telling Heather about this tonight after work, (I'd decided to stop saying, "Fine.") She was asking some good questions... like, "Would it help to exercise? Do you wanna have someone over for dinner?"... stuff like that. But I don't wanna have someone over for dinner... and I don't wanna exercise. This is how I know it's the February Blues... cuz I ALWAYS wanna have someone over for dinner.

So I told Heather that I was bored. That I didn't want to do anything. That I wanted someone to entertain me. I want someone to put me in an adult sized stroller... wheel me around to different places, and let people entertain me.

Anyway... I need a lead-off. I just think if I could get a lead-off, I'd make it home and everyone would put me on their shoulders and I'd be the MVP or something, and wouldn't have to feel bored or depressed. Right now, I feel like if I don't get a lead-off, I'm gonna feel the sting of that red rubber ball in the small of my back. Just saying it makes me feel better though. I think in a way, saying it IS the lead-off.

So here goes, "I'M READY FOR SPRING AND I'M A LITTLE DEPRESSED AND I DON'T FEEL LIKE EXERCISING OR MAKING MYSELF DO STUFF I DON'T WANNA DO, AND I DON'T WANT PEOPLE TO TRY TO SOLVE MY PROBLEMS FOR ME UNLESS THEY PUT ON SOME TAP SHOES AND START DANCING AND PROVIDING SERIOUS ENTERTAINMENT!"

So there's my lead-off. Good for me.

2 comments:

Beth said...

Wish I lived near by so I could entertain you......do you remember sometimes we would stand in front of our fireplace use it as a stage and play charades(imitate):) Today is Johns B-day and we are missing celebrating it with our BFF's. February was always better when we were hanging out with you guys!

Hows that for cheering you up?

CSL.....I wish!

Carin said...

I already commented on this on facebook...so I will comment on the post below...

love the pic.
loved what you said.
really loved it.

and that is all.