Monday, September 1, 2008

Getting Older...

There are a few things I've noticed about being in your 30s (well, late thirties).

1. When you jump down from something, hitting the ground feels much different than it did when I was 18. It used to feel like a slight jarring; but now feels as if I have strapped a small house to my back before jumping.
2. I have allergies that have come with age. Never had them until my late 20s. NONE! And now..ragweed. I spend most of the fall feeling like this...

3. I have white hairs in my beard now, and they are soft. I'm RE-learning to shave because apparently the way I shaved before is not good enough for them. They don't shave off unless you shave against the grain of the way they grown. So if I shave normal, I will end up with a little field of white hair all over my neck - retarded!
4. Hard heels. Had my very first pedicure last week. I think she had to use a belt sander.
5. Age spots...shouldn't those happen when I'm in my 90s. That was a surprise.
6. Hair in the ears - I'm obsessed with it... just ask Heather. Oh, and also very long eyebrows that I watch like a hawk.
7. Thicker toe nails. No more cheap clippers; they keep breaking.
8. Soundly sleeping seems to be over. Too much on the brain.

Of course there are plusses. I'm smarter, less selfish, a better person. Plus I'm starting to look like Pierce Brosnan. Seriously, that was a joke. Oh, that reminds me of something. I went to see "Mamma Mia" with some friends a couple weeks back and in the middle of it, one of my male friends says, "Isn't he handsome?" meaning Pierce Brosnan. And I think he's kidding cause guys aren't usually man enought to say things like this...but apparently, he is. And then he responds to my puzzled face with, "What? He is." It made me laugh. I love when people catch you off guard. I mean I would've expected this from a guy who was sort of "metro" you know, but this guy isn't metro...he's pure hetro. I tried to tease him about it later, but he didn't care...just kept saying, "Well, it's true."

Anway, what about you...anything you're noticing giving way in your 30s (or you're 20s really - i noticed crap them too.) Or how about your 40's. Tell me all about it. I'm listening.


15 comments:

Desire of Great Love said...

You are awesome- a man who gets a pedi! My "bonus-mom" has offered both Jer & I a free pedi and I am BEGGING him to go with and get one while I get a maternity massage at her salon. Love it- don't you?

Well, I am almost 10 years younger and I have REALLY realized how some things your parents told you ARE important and ARE NOT important. Learned not to be such a pushover. learned how to choose battles a little wiser. I went to church yesterday for the first time since 4/06 and didn't really connect, but realized it didn't matter- I was with friends who care and want me to be there- which actually meant more to me than being at church. I realize I don't have to be afraid to disagree strongly w/ people and can still be their friends (or daughter) w/out there being "weirdness".
Allowing people to grow... Expect the worst & hope for the best- ALWAYS.
more hair grows in places it shouldn't- less grows where it should, and I'm slowly accepting it (BLECK!). it's okay to find creativity in things that seem trivial (CUPCAAAAAKES... I know- I'm weirdly obsessed) and
I'm slowly becoming less scared of being a parent... mainly a bad parent, and starting to have hope of becoming a good one. Don't know if this is really what you're looking for.

PS- Jeremy will occasionally turn to me and confidently nod his head and tell me so-n-so (male) is a handsome/good looking dude. It's kinda funny.

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh Matt! OK the last time I had a pedi she used what looked like a carrot peeler on my heels! I don't have hair in my ears, but I have stiff hairs on my eyebrows and I am obsessed with it. Last thing...I totally have insomnia. I think that you should let your eyebrows grow and then curl them up...totally hip!

Shannon said...

Thank you for listening! I turn 34tomorrow...I needed this!! So fiber is now a major food group in my diet. I will be one of those ladies in the nursing home with a special fiber diet so I don't get backed up if you know what I mean. And without a doubt no caffeine past noon now!! Ughhh!!! Sleep is priceless, but hard to come by if I have an ounce of caffeine in my body in the pm. And ask Jason, Pierce Brosnan is my fav, always has been...Thomas Crown Affair did me in!!! It was confirmed during his solo in Mamma Mia!! Thanks for listening!!

Kim said...

Let's see, I'm 35 and looking at which artificial hips last the longest. Most day to day stuff is not slowed down too much, but certain nocturnal activies are suffering. It's pretty bad when you are thinking "ok, we're gonna need to wrap this up because my hip is barking".

Thank my Lord for Henna, because the entire crown of my head is WHITE.

The hair issue for Big Honey is out of control! IF he doesn't keep up EVERY day, the nose/ear/eyebrow areas are scary.

Sleep, forgetaboutit.

Big HOney sleeps OK, as long as he is hooked up to a hissing facemask all night (that's HOT).

SO far that's it. Let's do this again in 5 years.

XOXO Kim

PS Oh yeah, my pores can be seen from space.

Krista said...

last week i pulled a hair outta my nose that was 4" long. no lie.

three belly buttons? oh no, those are my nipples.

crunchy sounding kneecaps

.....aside from all that, feeling better/stronger than ever.

wouldn't trade age and experience for anything....well unless i could go back knowing EVERYTHING i know now.

btw...been missing you and heather on the new blog....boycotting me? ;)

Bill Wolfe said...

Two things stand out for me:

1. out of control eyebrow hairs. Holli is constantly chasing me down with scissors to trim them.

2. I can't eat as many spicy foods as I used to. And I love spicy foods.

btw, loved the Five For Fighting song on Sunday morning. awesome job. It brought back a flood of memories and caused me to stop and think about my role as husband/father. Thanks dude.

The Liller Family said...

Well you ARE a whole 6 days older than me, but I can relate to almost everything you listed - especially age spots and scars - that's just wrong at our age! But I think the biggest thing for me to take in is that the older I get, the shorter my lifespan (oh yes, you WILL outlive me - my Type 1 Diabetes shortens the average lifespan by 14 years!!!), the shorter my patience unfortunately, the shorter - well I'm just getting shorter I think!!! Haha. So we live each day to the fullest and hopefully enjoy each and every moment, good or bad! I'm working on it...

Beth said...

I would have a long list so let me just say what I miss most is I wish you were here to tell me all my ageing crap that I have going on!!!!!

Kim said...

Also, on a complete tangent.

I was with a group of people and this lady walked by with tight athletic pants pulled up way too high.

We all kind of looked at each other with that don't laugh now look.

I said "I can kick, and stretch aaaaand kick!".

Then as crickets chirped in the background, I said to their blank faces "If Matt were here he would have screamed "IIIII'M FIFTAAY!".".

They were too mortified to ask who Matt is.

pwdrd donuts said...

Kim, "Book 'em Dan-O, I'm FIIIVE-O!"

Krista, New Blog? Where?

Liller, I'm planning on living till I'm 113 so that puts you at 99! Sweet!

Shannon, when Pierce did his solo, Heather and I laughed til we were sick! Loved that movie though.

Anonymous said...

Somersaults (sp). Why do I get so dizzy now? I didn't use to.

the laundress said...

-eyebrows OUT OF CONTROL!
-Acne...never had in in my youth..and last night I popped a zit in my ear that sounded like a gunshot! not lying...I jumped!
-ankles DO NOT BEND
-out of control case of CRS!
-PMS lasts all month!

thats the 40ish list for me! How glad are you that you opened this can of worms?

pwdrd donuts said...

I've also done the ear zit. Nasty. Okay somesaults...I've totally done this. Feels like a rollercoaster.

Anonymous said...

I was ganna give you my list but I forgot what it was.......

Anonymous said...

The real test of getting older - when you get up out of a chair - do you make that groaning noise - that's the sign you are getting old!! I am a every 2 week pedi - let me know if you ever want a pedi-buddy. I have a great place over here in geist!